The Pere Lachaise Cemetery is the most famous and largest cemetery in the capital. Located in the 20th arrondissement, it now covers an area of 44 hectares .... Originally, the estate had been bought by the Jesuits in the seventeenth century to make it a place of convalescence. It was especially by François d'Aix de la Chaise, said "The Father La Chaise, confessor of Louis XIV. The brother of Father La Chaise was subsequently enlarge the field before having to sell it to pay a debt. First abandoned, the gardens were later purchased by the Prefect of the Seine in eighteenth century.
In the nineteenth century, under the leadership of Consul Napoleon Bonaparte, several new cemeteries were established to mitigate the lack of intramural burials: the cemetery of Montmartre and Montparnasse were built along the outside of the city. In 1803, the Prefect of Paris who asked the architect Brongniart transform the area that became the cemetery east of the city. The cemetery was officially opened on 21 May 1804 with the first burial.
At the heart of the site, the famous' Wall, marked the 147 Commune fighters were shot in 1871 against the wall, represents the symbol of the struggle for ideas and for freedom.
Over the green path, you will come across the graves of famous men and women based in the cemetery. Here are some names: Honore de Balzac, Guillaume Apollinaire, Frederic Chopin, Colette, Jean-Francois Champollion, Jean de La Fontaine, Molière, Yves Montand, Simone Signoret, Jim Morrison, Alfred, Edith Piaf, Camille Pissarro, Oscar Wilde.